The Nutshell
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nutshell

The Nutshell is a creative collective under the government of Holly-Rose and Hannah-Rose with ODD and SPONTANEOUS tamperings by Logie-Bear; made up of writers, musicians, and artists. Here teacups are rife and insanity is always technicoloured.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Goddess DevineSupreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

Number of posts : 1038
Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Left_bar_bleue42 / 10042 / 100Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-01

Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Empty
PostSubject: Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction)   Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Icon_minitimeMon 2 Jun 2008 - 10:43

So, I just watched Perfect Creature, and, despite being a glorious symphony of steampunk sensibilities (they had little blood-taps in their arms. Little copper taps. It was so lovely... <3), it was still, overall, a fairly shitty movie. Much like the only other kiwi sci-fi flick I ever watched, don't ask me what it was called 'cause I can't fucking remember, that's how much impact it had on me. All I remember is that it was one of those sci-fi flick's where people travel round in silver bubble-cycles. You know the kind, and everybody is dressed as a techno-goth or 80's aesthetic futurist business-wear... At least they were at one point ... I think they may have travelled in time through a wavy, shiny wall and ended up in victorian Auckland (now there's a wierd thought) for a wee while. ANYWAY. My point was, that was a shitty movie too. And New Zealander's just can't do sci-fi. They just fail at it. Shockingly. Basically, the only thing we can to well is grey-scale low-budget festival films shot in some anti-idyll vision of NZ that's about 20 years out of date as far as most of the population's concerned... Oh and of course self-deprecating humor, a la Sione's Wedding & Black Sheep. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love to see films that don't feel like they're apologising the entire way through for having been made in NZ, but what sticks in my throat is that whenever anybody does try to make a hollywood-style slick, modern film that is unapologetically set in our fair land, they fail miserably.

And I have a theory as to why this is. It's because all of the good are too well-set in cutural cringe to even dare something a little bit hollywood. Because, of course, the good writers see that hollywood slick is transient, and good films are gritty and realistic, and shot through an equally gritty lens. But quite honestly, I think that some of the good writers should pull themselves out of their own arses and make good films for a change. Touching vignettes are all very well and good, but they have been done to fucking death, move on. Please.

</bitchrant>
Back to top Go down
TechnicolouredInsanity
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
TechnicolouredInsanity

Number of posts : 395
Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Left_bar_bleue42 / 10042 / 100Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction)   Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Icon_minitimeMon 2 Jun 2008 - 10:55

Told you it wouldn't be very good. Such a pity, such a pity.

Join me in watching foreign films. They rule Hollywood in their utterly glorious non-commercial-ness without the I'm-trying-to-not-be-commercial-ness.
Back to top Go down
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

Number of posts : 1038

Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction)   Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jun 2008 - 5:01

Mmm, I've been on french-film binges lately. <3 Ouah.
Back to top Go down
artsgeek
Bloodied Typewriter
artsgeek

Number of posts : 144
Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction)   Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Icon_minitimeFri 13 Jun 2008 - 10:48

Welcome to New Zealand, possums. <3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction)   Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reasons why NZ fails at life (or at least science fiction)
Page 1 of 1