The Nutshell
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nutshell

The Nutshell is a creative collective under the government of Holly-Rose and Hannah-Rose with ODD and SPONTANEOUS tamperings by Logie-Bear; made up of writers, musicians, and artists. Here teacups are rife and insanity is always technicoloured.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

anybody can despair

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wretchedkisses
Apprentice Squirrel

Number of posts : 320
anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

anybody can despair Empty
PostSubject: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeThu 4 Sep 2008 - 11:53

This was written as a cheeky response to somebody who told me it was more worthwhile to despair than to hope. It ended up being more sincere than I'd intended.

anybody can despair.
it is not the mind frame of
winners,
achievers,
leaders. nor of the
celebrated,
the changers,
the movers and the shakers.
despair is measured only in
cynicism, in hyperbole and inaction.
hope, on the other hand,
is meted in change.
in headlines.
in treaties.
in bipartisanship.
in compassion.
in loves won and lives kept safe.
it is silver linings
and people watching.
it is magic,
and,
it is what makes the world spin
forward.
Back to top Go down
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Goddess DevineSupreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

Number of posts : 1038
anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue42 / 10042 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008 - 2:39

This isn't so much a poem as a list. Also, grammar is your friend.
This may seem like a lazy crit, but it's a response to lazy writing. Spend some more time on you're work and other people will spend more time considering it.
Back to top Go down
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Beloved SquirrelModerator
Logiebear

Number of posts : 1224
anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue23 / 10023 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008 - 3:16

Impressed that you managed to fit the word "bipartisanship" in there. But as Hannah said, It verges on being a list
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/logiebear42
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue42 / 10042 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008 - 9:21

*headdesk*
Back to top Go down
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Logiebear

anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue23 / 10023 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008 - 9:41

Hey, I agreed with you, how is that a *headdesk* moment?
Back to top Go down
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008 - 9:45

Congratulating someone on getting a long an semi-obscure word into a poem creates some distinct headdesk aura, vaguely related to the standard of poetry going on...
Back to top Go down
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Logiebear

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeMon 15 Sep 2008 - 11:26

Ah. Just trying to break the newbie in gently, gawrsh.
Back to top Go down
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeTue 16 Sep 2008 - 7:25

Eh. I know. Usually I would do the same. But for some reason the internet bitch has been gnawing on my soul of late.
Back to top Go down
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Logiebear

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeTue 16 Sep 2008 - 8:09

As of late?
Back to top Go down
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeWed 17 Sep 2008 - 23:08

Worse than usual, I mean.
Back to top Go down
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Logiebear

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008 - 1:14

Lol fair enough then
Back to top Go down
wretchedkisses
Apprentice Squirrel

anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008 - 9:33

Hannah-Rose wrote:
This isn't so much a poem as a list. Also, grammar is your friend.
This may seem like a lazy crit, but it's a response to lazy writing. Spend some more time on you're work and other people will spend more time considering it.

"you're"...irony much?

I know it seems like a list, but that was sort of the point; that there's so much more to each thing - hope and despair - than just the words. Plus, I wrote it out in the rhythm that was in my head.

My poetry tends not to be standard, rhyme/verse/stanza. I'm a fan of the more interior monologue school of poetry. Bukowski et al.
Back to top Go down
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Logiebear

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008 - 10:25

Whoa. Shocked Shocked

*hides under covers in prep for Hannah smiting*
Back to top Go down
wretchedkisses
Apprentice Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008 - 22:46

Why? I was just firstly pointing out the irony, and secondly explaining my style of poetry. Surely that's not deserved of a smiting?
Back to top Go down
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008 - 0:42

Nein, I type to quick, always. Style is one thing, but if it comes off more like school poetry than a school of poetry you might be needing to refine your style.
Back to top Go down
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Logiebear

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008 - 8:56

Arrr it be a battle of wits!
Back to top Go down
wretchedkisses
Apprentice Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008 - 9:29

Interesting, I'll take it under consideration. I'd like you to comment on the other poem I posted if and when you can find the time.
Back to top Go down
TimTam
Tarnation
In a TeaCup
TimTam

Number of posts : 868
anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeTue 23 Sep 2008 - 23:36

yeah, I didn't hear the rhythm, but then I'm not great with rhythm of any sort.

I have to say that while I understood the listing was part of the technique I didn't think it was particularly effective. It came accross to me somewhat like one of those attitude talks we got at school where they try to motivate you.

At leasat it wasn't the depressive angst I vaguely expected from the title including the word despair
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/tlvv
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008 - 0:03

Ah, there must be a true poet in there then, if there's no offence taken to what I admit was a kinda harsh crit... XD
Back to top Go down
wretchedkisses
Apprentice Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008 - 12:48

TimTam wrote:
yeah, I didn't hear the rhythm, but then I'm not great with rhythm of any sort.

I have to say that while I understood the listing was part of the technique I didn't think it was particularly effective. It came accross to me somewhat like one of those attitude talks we got at school where they try to motivate you.

At leasat it wasn't the depressive angst I vaguely expected from the title including the word despair

All that says to me is that you got what I was trying to convey!!! It was meant to be motivational, or at least semi-persuasive and to be definitely NOT angsty.
Back to top Go down
TimTam
Tarnation
In a TeaCup
TimTam

Number of posts : 868
anybody can despair Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100anybody can despair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008 - 1:33

o well that's good then, maybe still you want to work on the sound a little more for it to be taken as being an technique rather than someone as Hannah says, writing school poety
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/tlvv
xAnastasiax
Mindless Minion
xAnastasiax

Number of posts : 236

Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008 - 5:02

I'm crap at poetry and have no idea what I'm talking about with it because normally, I write stories instead but I liked it anyway. I got the idea that you were trying to put across.

Question:

The format makes the poem what it is? Would it still have the same idea and meaning if you just ran the lines together? Would it still work no matter how it was formatted?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anybody can despair   anybody can despair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

anybody can despair
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nutshell :: Creative Chaos :: Of the Pen :: Poetry-
Jump to: