The Nutshell
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nutshell

The Nutshell is a creative collective under the government of Holly-Rose and Hannah-Rose with ODD and SPONTANEOUS tamperings by Logie-Bear; made up of writers, musicians, and artists. Here teacups are rife and insanity is always technicoloured.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TimTam
Tarnation
In a TeaCup
TimTam

Number of posts : 868
Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-02

Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Empty
PostSubject: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeTue 23 Sep 2008 - 23:54

So I noticed I'd not put anything up for a while, and this is the last thing I wrote before I became all soppy and attampted a love poem before remembering that at 18 I really can't understand what love is, let alone write love poetry, but that's ok because I I couldn't really manage anything anyway.

There is a part in here I'm not happy with, I'd like to see if anyone else thinks that part needs work.

There is a light on in the hall
That sneaks under my door
Lighting up the darkness
For my blind eyes

The clock on the wall
Smiles at me
As greedy hands
Steal more its precious possession

When you were here
Time itself belonged to us
And darkness was more
Than just the absence of light

Tomorrow has been promised
At dawn the sun will rise
There will still be nothing
I will see it clearer then

What became of love’s philosophy
When you left my side?
I asked you leave the light on
When you closed the door
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/tlvv
Logiebear
Beloved Squirrel
Beloved SquirrelModerator
Logiebear

Number of posts : 1224
Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Left_bar_bleue23 / 10023 / 100Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008 - 4:53

TimTam wrote:

The clock on the wall
Smiles at me
As greedy hands

I can see what you're trying to say here and using varied syntax is interesting but it doesn't flow and it's the odd one out in the short rhythm of the stanza. If you were trying to get an 'ebb and flow' feel between stanzas, this line would ruin it.

It has merit.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/logiebear42
Hannah-Rose
Goddess Devine
Supreme OverLady
Goddess DevineSupreme OverLady
Hannah-Rose

Number of posts : 1038
Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Left_bar_bleue42 / 10042 / 100Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008 - 7:33

I do intend to crit this... I just need to figure it out first... I think it's one of your better ones, though.
Back to top Go down
wretchedkisses
Apprentice Squirrel

Number of posts : 320
Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008 - 13:10

I love the idea of it and the structure - starting and finishing on the same point is great, it feels complete.

The first, third and fifth stanzas work.

Second and fourth - clunky, non-well-scanning (IRONYYYYYY) hell.

The clock on the wall
Smiles at me
As greedy hands

I agree with Logan, the intention was good but its just too much. Purple language is not always good language. You can be clever and heartfelt without using 80 bajillion syllables.

--

Tomorrow has been promised
At dawn the sun will rise
There will still be nothing
I will see it clearer then

These sound like four one liners taken from presidential campaign speeches. Also, they're boring. "At dawn the sun will rise"????!??!! Really? Its not emotive, its hello, Captain Obvious?!

These two stanzas really let down the spark and structure and emotion of the other three. Rehash these two and I'd love to see what you come up with.
Back to top Go down
TimTam
Tarnation
In a TeaCup
TimTam

Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008 - 1:25

The clock on the wall
Smiles at me
As greedy hands

I get what you're saying but I wanted to stress the importance of time with this one, and also a bit with the fourth.

Perhaps gift intead of possession? Though you lose the alliteration.

Yay, I could run for president Smile

The last two lines were what I was getting at, but the first two were setting that up. I could perhaps do without that stanza entirely except that you might lose the meaning with the idea of understanding.

And thank you Hannah, lol tell me what you think it is, but if you're trying to apply it to something in my life then don't bother, it's not from experience. I'd love to hear your interpretations, or anyone elses for that matter.
Back to top Go down
xAnastasiax
Mindless Minion
xAnastasiax

Number of posts : 236
Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008 - 5:11

Yes yes Tammy, run for President! Then I can be First Lady :-P lol

I do like the poem. I'm crap at any kind of poetry to do with love, so I do applaud you. I agree that the second stanza could be changed a bit. I like the way the poem runs together and that the end links to the start. I had to read it a couple of times for it to make sense to me, but as I say, poems aren't my area, lol. At all.
Back to top Go down
TimTam
Tarnation
In a TeaCup
TimTam

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008 - 6:17

You'd be the best looking first lady America's ever had! but I'm not the politician here.
Back to top Go down
xAnastasiax
Mindless Minion
xAnastasiax

Number of posts : 236

Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008 - 6:18

Lol. I love you!
Back to top Go down
TimTam
Tarnation
In a TeaCup
TimTam

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008 - 6:20

lol lol, love you too!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please   Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Love's Philosophy - An honest (harsh) critique please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Nutshell :: Creative Chaos :: Of the Pen :: Poetry-
Jump to: